Piedmont Language School supports, advocates and creates opportunities for world language learning and cultural exposure for children in Piedmont schools, beyond our self-funding language programs. Please consider supporting the PLS community fund at PUSD’s online registration to help provide grants to facilitate classroom enrichment and support language and culture in our community.
Here’s a sampling of some programs we have funded:
PUSD World Language Teacher Professional Development
- $777 to send three PHS/MHS world language teachers to the BER Conference in Fall 2019.
- $220 for a new PUSD Spanish teacher to attend the 2019 CTA New Educator Weekend.
- $2,000 to send PHS and PMS teachers to learn about emerging trends that impact the language profession at the Annual Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages Annual Convention.
- $2,000 to offset the costs of sending all PUSD world language teachers to attend workshops to address Common Core Literacy Standards at the UC Berkeley Language Center.
PUSD World Language Classes – Curriculum and Materials
- $300 to Piedmont Middle School to buy Spanish books and magazines for the Spanish ABC classroom library.
- Student books related to U.S.-Latin American relations for PHS’ Spanish 4 classes.
- 9 sets of headphones for PHS Spanish classes.
- The French game of la petanque for PMS students to explore during free activity times.
- Materials to help PHS teachers, including formative assessments for drawings and games.
- To promote the role of language in community service, we sponsored an essay contest and scholarship to underwrite the costs of a student’s trip with the Piedmont Community Church’s Mexico Mission.
- Donations to the Piedmont Crossing Guards during the Covid 19 Shelter in Place to help these men and women after they have helped so many of our students safely get to and from our world language classes.
- Scholarships (partial) to students in need who would otherwise not be able to study Mandarin with our school.
With your help, PLS Community Fund hopes to support these activities in the future:
- Support tri-school teachers that promote global and cultural curriculum in the classroom.
- References and resource texts on world languages and literature as well as language learning for teachers, librarians, and students.
- Non-English language library acquisitions for K-12.
All donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. We are a non-profit 501(c)3 and our ID for tax purposes is #94-2435647.
- If you’d like to get more involved with our organization, please contact us at [email protected]. We would welcome new board members and volunteers to help out with any of our events or programs.